THE ART OF NATURAL PERFUMERY
BEGINNER PERFUME WORKSHOP
"I chose to create natural perfumes because natural things are real and alive whereas synthetic raw materials are not. Also, aroma chemicals (utilized in all the commercial perfumes) may cause severe allergies. " For this reason I choose what represents the real LIFE.
CREATE YOUR OWN CUSTOM NATURAL PERFUME
In this 3 hour hands-on workshop, you’ll learn the basics of oil-based perfume creation.
DURATION: about 3 hours
GROUP CLASS: min. 4 people - $ 120 + hst
PRIVATE CLASS $ 350 + hst
WHEN: on request . Please, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- What is Natural or Botanical Perfume
- Natural Perfumery, Aromatherapy and Synthetic Perfumery
- The art and science of blending, exploring and smelling essentials oils, absolutes and resins
- Developing an olfactory vocabulary
- Introduction to Fragrance Families
- Perfume notes and the fragrance pyramid
- The art of smelling and training the nose developing creativity and fragrance ideas
- The link between memory, emotion, imagination and scent
- Safety, dilutions, storage, creating a formula and record keeping
- Making your first perfume
Beginner Natural Perfume Class includes:
- Oil kit to take home : 15 -20 essential oils, absolutes and resins. These are 1-2 ml each (depending on the oil) of very high quality essences from around the world. The kit will allow you to practice at home and make more perfumes .
- 30 ml carrier oil (Fractionated Coconut Oil: it is a colorless scentless fixed oil)
- Two roll-on glass bottles (5 ml) for your finished perfumes.
- Vials, pipettes
No previous experience is required!
Students should bring a notebook to class, all other materials will be provided on the day.
PHOTOS: Grasse, Provence (France) - Stefania at Studio des Fragrances Galimard
NATURAL PERFUMERY BEGINNER'S KIT
SELECTION OF ESSENTIAL OILS, ABSOLUTES AND RESINS.
The oils will be chosen among the olfactory group list (see below), depending on the availability .
OLFACTORY GROUPS AND FRAGRANCE FAMILY
WHAT WE USE IN OUR PERFUMES
Absolute as defined by ISO 9235
Concrete: as defined by ISO 9235
Essential oils: as defined by ISO 9235
Extracts: as defined by ISO 9235
Resinoids: as defined by ISO 9235
CITRUS: Light and fresh
Lemon (Sicily or Sorrento -Italy),
Bergamot (Calabria, Italy),
Orange (Sicily, Italy),
Mandarin (Sicily, Italy) ,
Petitgrain sur fleurs (Egypt),
Petitgain bigarade (Egyypt) , etc
AROMATIC: Aromatic herbs
Rosemary ( Italy),
Clary sage (France),
Lavender (Italy) ,
Thyme (Italy) ,
Eucalyptus (Italy), etc.
Agrestic: Hay (Bulgaria), etc.
FLORAL: Floral notes
Neroli (Italy, France, Tunisia, Marocco), Jasmine Grandiflorum (Egypt), Jasmine Sambac (India), Damask Rose (Bulgaria), Rosa centifolia (Marocco), White Rose (Bulgaria), Linden Blossom (France/Bulgaria), Gardenia (Colombia, South America), Mimosa (France), Osmanthus (Thailand/France), Magnolia (China, France) , Tuberose (India), etc.
Powedry-floral: Iris (Italy), Violet (France)
ORIENTAL : warm and exotic, spicy and dark, musky
Spicy: Ginger (India), Cardamom (India),Black Pepper (Madagascar), Cinnamom (India), Clove (Bangladesh), etc.
Woody: Cedarwood (Italy, Marocco), Sandalwood (India, Australia), Guaiacwood (Paraguay), Agarwood (Malaysia, Thailand), etc..
Smoky-leathery: Tobacco (Bulgaria), Amber fossilized (Himalaya)
Musky-floral: Ambrette (Peru')
Musky-ambery-balsamic: Labdanum (Spain), Cistus (Spain)
Resinous: Frankincense (Oman), Myrrh (Somalia)
Balsamic-vanilla-like: Benzoin, Liquidambar (Honduras)
GOURMAND: edible tasting
Coffee beans (Italy/El Salvador)
Vanilla boubon (Madagascar)
Tonka beans (Brazil).
Earthy-floral-spicy: saffron (India)
WHAT WE DO NOT USE IN OUR PERFUMES
Alcohol (natural or synthetic)
Aroma chemicals from chemical synthesis of petroleum derivatives.
Aroma chemicals from chemical synthesis of natural raw materials
Natural molecules isolates obtained from essential oils
Natural molecules (Isolates) from bio technology